January 17, 2015
In a memo released to insiders and experts in the public sector, the FBI has asked for additional details on the CENTCOM social media compromise, with a particular focus on IP addresses released by Anonymous shortly after the attack, which the faceless, loosely-associative group says were used by the attacker(s).Earlier this week, the official Twitter and YouTube accounts for the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) were compromised by an attacker(s) claiming to support the terrorist group ISIS. In a statement, CENTCOM called the act a case of cyber vandalism, largely dismissing the issue.
“CENTCOM’s operational military networks were not compromised and there was no operational impact to U.S. Central Command. CENTCOM will restore service to its Twitter and YouTube accounts as quickly as possible. We are viewing this purely as a case of cyber vandalism,” the CENTCOM statement said in part.