November 18, 2016
Three men have been arrested after a data breach at the Three mobile network allowed fraudsters to steal phones.
The company said personal details, including names and addresses, had been accessed by using a login to a database of customers eligible for a phone upgrade.
It’s understood the hackers used the information to arrange for eight customer upgrades before intercepting them.
On Wednesday, the National Crime Agency (NCA) arrested a 48-year-old from Orpington, Kent, and a 39-year old from Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, on suspicion of computer misuse offences.
A 35-year old from Moston, Manchester, has also been arrested on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice.
The NCA said all three have been released on bail pending further enquiries.
Three, which has nine million customers, is investigating how many accounts were accessed, but said financial information was not stored on the system affected.
According to The Daily Telegraph, the security breach could put two-thirds of customers at risk.
A spokesman for the firm said: “Over the last four weeks Three has seen an increasing level of attempted handset fraud.
“This has been visible through higher levels of burglaries of retail stores and attempts to unlawfully intercept upgrade devices.
“We’ve been working closely with the police and relevant authorities.
“To date, we have confirmed approximately 400 high-value handsets have been stolen through burglaries and eight devices have been illegally obtained through the upgrade activity.
“The investigation is ongoing and we have taken a number of steps to further strengthen our controls.