Pentagon official said on Friday that the Department of Defense had suffered a security breach thanks to a third-party contractor.
An investigation is still underway, so the exact details haven’t been made public, but according to an Associated Press report, a DOD official said that roughly 30,000 DOD military and civilian personnel are believed to be affected. This number is expected to grow as the Pentagon’s investigation continues.
The official said the breach was discovered on October 4, last week. An attacker (or multiple attackers) appear to have compromised a third-party contractor and used the vendor’s access to the Pentagon network to steal travel data for DOD personnel.