Rampant internet speculation aside, there’s no evidence yet that any hostile electronic breach led to recent U.S. Navy mishaps, according to the admiral who leads the service’s cyber operations.
In fact, it was mostly to put such speculation to rest that Vice Adm. Jan Tighe said she dispatched a small team to join the Navy’s investigation into the Aug. 21 collision of the USS McCain with a cargo ship off Singapore. That accident followed a similar June 17 incident involving another destroyer, the USS Fitzgerald.
“There was no indication in either account that cyber had anything to do with either of these, so we put the team onto McCain to go confirm that,” said Tighe, whose dual titles are deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare, and director of naval intelligence. She spoke Tuesday at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
Tighe’s team is still sifting through cyber data they recovered. So far, they have turned up nothing suspicious aboard McCain, so she hasn’t sent a similar group to the other destroyer, Tighe said.
“We have all the data from Fitzgerald. If anything is found, we can go back and take a look at that. But that’s where we are today,” she said.
Tighe said there’s no particular schedule for the team to complete its work.