There has been a significant decrease in social engineering attacks linked to the Black Basta ransomware group since late December 2024.
This lapse also included the leaked Black Basta chat logs in February 2025, indicating internal conflict within the group. Despite this, Rapid7 has observed sustained social engineering attacks. Evidence now suggests that BlackSuit affiliates have either adopted Black Basta’s strategy or absorbed members of the group. The developer(s) of a previously identified Java malware family, distributed during social engineering attacks, have now been assessed as likely initial access brokers, having potentially provided historical access for Black Basta and/or FIN7 affiliates.
Read more…
Source: Rapid7
Sign up for our Newsletter
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox.
Related:
- Zacks Investment hit in data breach – 12 million users potentially at risk
February 14, 2025
A report by BleepingComputer cites a thread posted on an underground hacking forum claiming to have breached Zacks in June 2024, gaining sensitive information on 12 million people, including names, usernames, email addresses, postal addresses, and phone numbers. The forum thread contained a small sample, and an offer for the entire batch in exchange for a ...
- Israel: Extortionists posed as women online, trapped victims with intimate photos
February 14, 2025
Two men were arrested on Thursday for operating a sophisticated sexual extortion network. According to the investigation, they posed as women on social media lured victims into sending intimate photos, and then threatened to expose the images unless they paid money. The prosecution stated: “They acted systematically, cynically exploiting their victims.” David Bracha, 26, from Rishon ...
- China’s Salt Typhoon hackers continue to breach telecom firms despite US sanctions
February 13, 2025
Security researchers say the Chinese government-linked hacking group, Salt Typhoon, is continuing to compromise telecommunications providers, despite the recent sanctions imposed by the U.S. government on the group. In a report shared with TechCrunch, threat intelligence firm Recorded Future said it had observed Salt Typhoon — which the company tracks as “RedMike” — breaching five telecommunications ...
- Spyware maker caught distributing malicious Android apps for years
February 13, 2025
Italian spyware maker SIO, known to sell its products to government customers, is behind a series of malicious Android apps that masquerade as WhatsApp and other popular apps but steal private data from a target’s device, TechCrunch has exclusively learned. Late last year, a security researcher shared three Android apps with TechCrunch, claiming they were likely ...
- Upper Michigan: Cyber attack hits Sault Tribe offices
February 13, 2025
A ransomware attack that shut down gaming at all five Kewadin Casino locations also impacted other offices at an eastern Upper Peninsula tribe. The tribe made the announcement Monday and said it could be a week or more before regular operations can resume. “On Sunday morning, the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians suffered a ...
- US, UK crack down on Russian bulletproof hosting service ZServers for LockBit partnership
February 12, 2025
Russia-based bulletproof hosting services provider (BPH) ZServers has been sanctioned by the United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom for its alleged involvement with the LockBit ransomware group. In a press release, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) said ZServers was providing services to threat actors responsible for the Medibank Private breach that happened in October 2022. ...

