CareCloud confirms 3.7M patients had their medical records stolen in data breach


Hackers have stolen the personal information and medical records of more than 3.75 million people in a data breach at health data giant CareCloud, the company has confirmed with federal regulators. The disclosure marks the first confirmation of the scale of the data breach, which is now confirmed to be the fifth-largest theft of health data in 2026 so far.

CareCloud detailed the March data breach in a filing with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on Monday. The number of affected victims was reportedly revised up in an update on Tuesday, though it’s unclear if the figure is expected to rise further.

Read more…
Source:  TechCrunch News


Sign up for the Cyber Security Review Newsletter
The latest cyber security news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Billions of records belonging to CVS Health exposed online

    June 16, 2021

    In another example of misconfigured cloud services impacting security, billions of records belonging to CVS Health have been exposed online. On Thursday, WebsitePlanet, together with researcher Jeremiah Fowler, revealed the discovery of an online database belonging to CVS Health. The database was not password-protection and had no form of authentication in place to prevent unauthorized entry. Upon ...

  • The AN0M fake secure chat app may have been too clever for its own good

    June 14, 2021

    Late last week, FBI International Operations Division legal attaché for Australia Anthony Russo added another important piece of information: speaking to Australian newspapers he said one reason for discontinuing use of AN0M was that it produced too much intelligence. “The volume was increasing at a scale and our ability to resource it and monitoring ...

  • JBS Paid $11M to REvil Gang Even After Restoring Operations

    June 10, 2021

    JBS Foods paid the equivalent of $11 million in ransom after a cyber-attack that forced the company to shut down some operations in the United States and Australia over the Memorial Day weekend. The company made the payment to cybercriminals to ensure the protection of its data and mitigate any further damage to its customers, as ...

  • 800 Criminals Arrested In Biggest Ever Law Enforcement Operation Against Encrypted Communication

    June 8, 2021

    The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Dutch National Police (Politie), and the Swedish Police Authority (Polisen), in cooperation with the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and 16 other countries have carried out with the support of Europol one of the largest and most sophisticated law enforcement operations to date in the fight against ...

  • FBI Claws Back Millions of DarkSide’s Ransom Profits

    June 7, 2021

    United States law enforcement has clawed back approximately $2.3 million of the ransom allegedly paid to DarkSide by Colonial Pipeline last month, the Department of Justice (DOJ) and FBI announced in a joint press conference on Monday. “Today we turned the tables on DarkSide,” FBI Deputy Director Paul Abbate said in live-streamed remarks. They seized the money ...

  • REvil Ransomware Gang Spill Details on US Attacks

    June 4, 2021

    Cybercriminals behind the JBS Foods ransomware attack claim they had no intent to target United States-based firms. The group, identified as the Sodinokibi REvil ransomware gang, also said it was not afraid of being labeled a cyber-terrorist group. A spokesperson for REvil shared its positions in an interview on a YouTube and Telegram channel called Russian ...