Europol: 7 arrested in Cybercrime-as-a-Service takedown


An action day performed in Latvia on 10 October 2025 led to the arrest of five cybercriminals of Latvian nationality and the seizure of infrastructure used to enable crimes against thousands of victims across Europe.

During the operation codenamed ‘SIMCARTEL’, law enforcement arrested two further suspects, took down five servers and seized 1 200 SIM box devices alongside 40 000 active SIM cards. Investigators from Austria, Estonia and Latvia, together with their colleagues at Europol und Eurojust, were able to attribute to the criminal network more than 1 700 individual cyber fraud cases in Austria and 1 500 in Latvia, with a total loss of several million euros. The financial loss in Austria alone amounts to around EUR 4.5 million, as well as EUR 420 000 in Latvia.

Read more…
Source: Europol


Sign up for the Cyber Security Review Newsletter
The latest cyber security news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • British spies playing key role in defending Kyiv from Russian cyber attacks

    November 1, 2022

    British cyber spies have been playing a key role in defending Ukraine from widespread Russian cyber attacks since the start of the invasion, it has been confirmed. The damage caused by Russian hackers would have been “very significant” without the British assistance, Leo Docherty, a junior foreign office minister, said. He told Sky News the UK has ...

  • Russian spies ‘hacked Liz Truss’s phone and stole sensitive messages’

    October 29, 2022

    Liz Truss had her phone hacked by Kremlin spies while she was working as foreign secretary, according to a report. The former prime minister’s personal messages with former chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng were raided, as well as sensitive details of international negotiations, it is claimed. Security services discovered the major security breach during the summer Tory leadership election, ...

  • Largest EU copper producer Aurubis suffers cyberattack, IT outage

    October 28, 2022

    German copper producer Aurubis has announced that it suffered a cyberattack that forced it to shut down IT systems to prevent the attack’s spread. Aurubis is Europe’s largest copper producer and the second largest in the world, with 6,900 employees worldwide, and produces one million tonnes of copper cathodes yearly. In an announcement published on their website, ...

  • Wholesale giant METRO hit by IT outage after cyberattack

    October 21, 2022

    International wholesale giant METRO is experiencing infrastructure outages and store payment issues following a recent cyberattack. The company’s IT team is currently investigating the incident with the help of external experts to discover the cause of this ongoing outage. IT outages have been affecting stores in Austria, Germany, and France since at least October 17, according to ...

  • Germany stands down cyber boss over Russian ties

    October 19, 2022

    Germany’s government has stood down the president of its Federal Office for Information Security, Arne Schönbohm, over his links to Russia. Schönbohm’s woes erupted last week when late-night chat show ZDF Magazine Royale branded him a “Cyberclown” in a Twitter thread that detailed some of the wurst moments of his career: Among the matters raised in the ...

  • Europol: 31 arrested for stealing cars by hacking keyless tech

    October 18, 2022

    With the support of Europol and Eurojust, the French authorities in cooperation with their Spanish and Latvian counterparts have dismantled a car theft ring which used a fraudulent software to steal vehicles without using the physical key fob. The criminals targeted vehicles with keyless entry and start systems, exploiting the technology to get into the car ...