Europol: 7 arrested in Cybercrime-as-a-Service takedown


An action day performed in Latvia on 10 October 2025 led to the arrest of five cybercriminals of Latvian nationality and the seizure of infrastructure used to enable crimes against thousands of victims across Europe.

During the operation codenamed ‘SIMCARTEL’, law enforcement arrested two further suspects, took down five servers and seized 1 200 SIM box devices alongside 40 000 active SIM cards. Investigators from Austria, Estonia and Latvia, together with their colleagues at Europol und Eurojust, were able to attribute to the criminal network more than 1 700 individual cyber fraud cases in Austria and 1 500 in Latvia, with a total loss of several million euros. The financial loss in Austria alone amounts to around EUR 4.5 million, as well as EUR 420 000 in Latvia.

Read more…
Source: Europol


Sign up for the Cyber Security Review Newsletter
The latest cyber security news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • UK: NHS providers reviewing stolen data published by cyber criminals

    November 11, 2025

    Pathology supplier Synnovis is contacting NHS organisations which had data stolen and published online following a major cyber attack last year. Synnovis has now completed its investigation into patient and staff data published online by the cyber criminal gang on 20 June 2024, which includes personal data such as names, NHS numbers, test results and test ...

  • Louvre used ‘Louvre’ as password for its video surveillance system

    November 6, 2025

    At the time of the brazen heist of $102 million in jewels from the Louvre last month, the password to the world-famous museum’s video surveillance system was simply “Louvre,” according to a museum employee with knowledge of the system. The revelation comes as the museum’s security measures have come under scrutiny in the wake of the ...

  • Android malware steals your card details and PIN to make instant ATM withdrawals

    November 6, 2025

    The Polish Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT Polska) analyzed a new Android-based malware that uses NFC technology to perform unauthorized ATM cash withdrawals and drain victims’ bank accounts. Researchers found that the malware, called NGate, lets attackers withdraw cash from ATMs (Automated Teller Machines, or cash machines) using banking data exfiltrated from victims’ phones—without ever physically ...

  • Italian political consultant says he was targeted with Paragon spyware

    November 6, 2025

    Francesco Nicodemo, a consultant who works with left-wing politicians in Italy, has gone public as the latest person targeted with Paragon spyware in the country. On Thursday, Nicodemo said in a Facebook post that for 10 months, he preferred not to publicize his case because he “did not want to be used for political propaganda,” ...

  • UK: Hundreds of residents’ details shared in data breach

    November 4, 2025

    A council chief has apologised after hundreds of residents’ sensitive data was mistakenly shared online. Some names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of 625 people who responded to South Gloucestershire Council’s consultation on 24 October were published online for three days. Once the error was spotted, council officers took “very prompt action” to remove the ...

  • Phone location data of top EU officials available for sale

    November 4, 2025

    Journalists in Europe found it was “easy” to spy on top European Union officials using commercially obtained location histories sold by data brokers, despite the continent having some of the strongest data protection laws in the world. EU officials said they’re “concerned” about the trade of citizen and officials’ mobile phone location data, and have issued ...