Europol: 7 arrested in Cybercrime-as-a-Service takedown


An action day performed in Latvia on 10 October 2025 led to the arrest of five cybercriminals of Latvian nationality and the seizure of infrastructure used to enable crimes against thousands of victims across Europe.

During the operation codenamed ‘SIMCARTEL’, law enforcement arrested two further suspects, took down five servers and seized 1 200 SIM box devices alongside 40 000 active SIM cards. Investigators from Austria, Estonia and Latvia, together with their colleagues at Europol und Eurojust, were able to attribute to the criminal network more than 1 700 individual cyber fraud cases in Austria and 1 500 in Latvia, with a total loss of several million euros. The financial loss in Austria alone amounts to around EUR 4.5 million, as well as EUR 420 000 in Latvia.

Read more…
Source: Europol


Sign up for the Cyber Security Review Newsletter
The latest cyber security news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • British nationals told they could be banned or deported from US amid censorship row

    March 1, 2025

    British nationals have been told that they could be banned or deported from the US as the free speech row rages on across the transatlantic. US Congressman and chair of the House Judiciary Committee, Jim Jordan, handed a letter to Keir Starmer slamming the state of UK “censorship”. He added that his committee had subpoenaed American ...

  • UK: Cyber-attack sparks security fears over NHS provider’s data

    February 28, 2025

    The private healthcare group that will soon take charge of Swindon community care services has been hit by a cyber-attack. HCRG Care Group recently won the contract to provide care-at-home services in the Swindon area, which was previously managed by the trust in charge of Great Western Hospital, as well as other parts of Wiltshire. The company ...

  • Ninth day of pro-Russia cyber attacks on Italian sites

    February 25, 2025

    A pro-Russian hacker group, Noname057(16), staged for the ninth consecutive morning on Tuesday a new wave of cyberattacks against Italian websites, specifically targeting local administrations. The provinces of Trapani, Ragusa, Caltanissetta, Enna, the municipality of Catania and the Puglia region were among those affected by the attacks. The Agency for National Cybersecurity is providing help to ...

  • Apple pulls data protection feature in UK amid government demands

    February 21, 2025

    Apple is scrapping its most advanced security encryption feature for cloud data in Britain, the company said on Friday, an unprecedented response to government demands for access to user data. The change affects a feature called Advanced Data Protection (ADP), which extends end-to-end encryption across a wide range of cloud data. Apple said it is no ...

  • Finastra Notifies Customers of Data Breach

    February 19, 2025

    British financial technology firm Finastra has notified customers impacted by a data breach that occurred over three months ago. Between October 31 and November 8, 2024, an unauthorized third party accessed the company’s secure file transfer platform (SFTP), used to share files with customers. Although the breach was detected on November 7, and the company acknowledged ...

  • UK: Man jailed for abusive emails to politicians

    February 18, 2025

    A 39-year-old man has been jailed for sending malicious communications to a government minister, the mayor of London and a senior Met Police officer. Jack Bennett, of Newlands Park, Seaton, Devon, pleaded guilty to four counts of sending malicious emails; one to Safeguarding Minister Jess Phillips, one to Metropolitan police officer Matt Twist, and two counts ...