Steelmaker Nucor halts some production after cyber security incident


Steelmaker Nucor said on Wednesday it had halted certain production at various locations after identifying a cyber security incident that involved unauthorized third-party access to certain information technology systems it used.

The Charlotte, North Carolina-based company said it is in the process of restarting the affected operations as it investigates the incident along with external cyber security experts. Nucor has notified federal law enforcement authorities and is taking the potentially affected systems offline, while also implementing other containment, remediation or recovery measures, it said in an SEC filing.

Read more…
Source: Reuters News


Sign up for our Newsletter
The latest news and insights delivered right to your inbox.


Related:

  • Major data breach impacts Australian hardware store

    September 19, 2024

    About 40,000 customers of a major hardware chain have had their data leaked by hackers, including credit card details, mobile numbers and email addresses. Total Tools has fallen victim to a cyber attack which was first identified earlier this week. Total Tools chief executive Richard Murray said on Thursday they were confident the cause of the ...

  • Identifying Rogue AI

    September 19, 2024

    For many – certainly given the share price of some leading proponents – the hype of AI is starting to fade. But that may be about to change with the dawn of agentic AI. It promises to get humanity far closer to the ideal of AI as an autonomous technology capable of goal-oriented problem solving. But ...

  • Zooming in on CVE‑2024‑7965

    September 19, 2024

    On August 21, Google released an update for Chrome, fixing a total of 37 security flaws. Researchers across the globe paid their attention to the CVE‑2024‑7965 vulnerability described as an inappropriate implementation in the browser’s V8 engine. The vulnerability can lead to remote code execution (RCE) in the Chrome renderer and thus become a starting point ...

  • Cyber attack on city of Wichita limited to police records, internal investigation finds

    September 19, 2024

    A ransomware attack that crippled the city of Wichita’s network for more than a month starting in May was limited to a Wichita Police Department records system, city officials said Wednesday. That means the Russian hacker group — LockBit — that claimed credit for the attack did not access bank card numbers, social security numbers or ...

  • Hacker claims to have for sale 87 million strong database after suspected Temu breach

    September 18, 2024

    A cybercriminal claims to have breached Temu and stolen millions of customer records, but the ecommerce giant is vehemently denying the claims. A hacker with the alias ‘smokinthashit’ took to BreachForums, one of the most popular underground forums out there, and advertised a new database, allegedly stolen from the company. “Temu company database for sale. +87M ...

  • Court-Authorized Operation Disrupts Worldwide Botnet Used by People’s Republic of China State-Sponsored Hackers

    September 18, 2024

    The Justice Department today announced a court-authorized law enforcement operation that disrupted a botnet consisting of more than 200,000 consumer devices in the United States and worldwide. As described in court documents unsealed in the Western District of Pennsylvania, the botnet devices were infected by People’s Republic of China (PRC) state-sponsored hackers working for Integrity ...