Telecom giant Orange warns of disruption amid ongoing cyberattack


Orange, a French telecommunications giant and one of the largest phone providers in the world, announced on Monday that it was the victim of an unspecified cyberattack.

In the announcement, the company said that it detected a cyberattack “on one of its information systems” on July 25, and that it proceeded to “isolate potentially affected services and minimize any impact.” Orange serves 291 million customers worldwide, across 26 different countries, and has 127,000 employees, according to the company.

Read more…
Source: TechCrunch News


Sign up for the Cyber Security Review Newsletter
The latest cyber security news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Russia’s Gamaredon aka Primitive Bear APT Group Actively Targeting Ukraine

    February 3, 2022

    Since November, geopolitical tensions between Russia and Ukraine have escalated dramatically. It is estimated that Russia has now amassed over 100,000 troops on Ukraine’s eastern border, leading some to speculate that an invasion may come next. On Jan. 14, 2022, this conflict spilled over into the cyber domain as the Ukrainian government was targeted with ...

  • Telco fined €9 million for hiding cyberattack impact from customers

    February 1, 2022

    The Greek data protection authority has imposed fines of 5,850,000 EUR ($6.55 million) to COSMOTE and 3,250,000 EUR ($3.65 million) to OTE, for leaking sensitive customer communication due to a cyberattack. As the agency says in an announcement, COSMOTE infringed at least eight articles of the GDPR, including violating its duty to inform affected customers of ...

  • Canada’s foreign affairs department hit with cyberattack

    January 25, 2022

    Canada’s foreign affairs department was hit with a cyberattack last week, according to the Treasury Board of Canada. The hack of Global Affairs Canada, the government entity responsible for diplomatic and global relations, occurred on Wednesday, according to a statement provided by the Treasury Board to ABC News. The statement does not identify who carried out the ...

  • Merck Awarded $1.4B Insurance Payout over NotPetya Attack

    January 21, 2022

    Unsealed court records show pharmaceutical giant Merck was awarded a $1.4 billion payout last month on its property insurance policy, for losses the company suffered because of the 2017 NotPetya cyberattacks. Merck’s cyber-insurance company, International Indemnity, was claiming the losses fell under the “War or Hostile Acts” exclusion. That’s because in Oct. 2020, the U.S. Department ...

  • Biden warns of US ‘cyber’ response after Ukraine says computers wiped during attack

    January 20, 2022

    US President Joe Biden responded forcefully to reports of a wide-ranging cyberattack on Ukrainian government systems Wednesday afternoon, telling reporters that the US would respond with its own cyberattacks if Russia continues to target Ukraine’s digital infrastructure. “The question is if it’s something significantly short of an…invasion or major military forces coming across,” Biden said in ...

  • Brazilian Ministry of Health recovers systems over a month after cyberattack

    January 18, 2022

    After a major cyberattack brought key systems of Brazil’s Ministry of Health (MoH) to a halt, the department has reported all its platforms are back online. According to a statement released by the MoH on Friday (14), most systems have been reestablished following a cyberattack in early December 2021, including ConecteSUS, which holds COVID-19 vaccination data. ...