African authorities dismantle massive cybercrime and fraud networks, recover millions


LYON, France – In a sweeping INTERPOL-coordinated operation, authorities across Africa have arrested 1,209 cybercriminals targeting nearly 88,000 victims. The crackdown recovered USD 97.4 million and dismantled 11,432 malicious infrastructures, underscoring the global reach of cybercrime and the urgent need for cross-border cooperation.

Operation Serengeti 2.0 (June to August 2025) brought together investigators from 18 African countries and the United Kingdom to tackle high-harm and high-impact cybercrimes including ransomware, online scams and business email compromise (BEC). These were all identified as prominent threats in the recent INTERPOL Africa Cyberthreat Assessment Report.

Read more…
Source: Interpol


Sign up for the Cyber Security Review Newsletter
The latest cyber security news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Over 100,000 UK Police and staff have personal data leaked in attack on national database

    August 4, 2026

    The UK’s Police National Legal Database (PNLD) suffered a cyberattack recently, in which it allegedly lost sensitive data on more than 100,000 criminal justice professionals. In a short press release, PNLD confirmed the breach, saying it happened over a weekend. The threat actors, which were not named in the announcement, were said to have taken names, organizations, and ...

  • Durov’s bank accounts frozen after terrorist tag applied

    July 30, 2026

    Telegram co-founder Pavel Durov will not be able to access his bank accounts in Russia after placement on the list of terrorists by financial watchdog Rosfinmonitoring earlier on Thursday, lawyer Dmitry Agranovsky told TASS. Since 2022, Russia has recorded 153,000 crimes committed using Telegram, including the organization of a terrorist attack at the Crocus City Hall, ...

  • U.S. accuses American of allegedly wiping his phone using a ‘duress’ password during border search

    July 24, 2026

    The U.S. Justice Department is prosecuting an American for allegedly providing U.S. border authorities with a passcode that wiped the contents of his phone, according to an indictment and media reports. This is thought to be the first known case in the United States where federal prosecutors have charged someone for the alleged destruction of data ...

  • FBI Warns of Scammers Impersonating the IC3

    July 20, 2026

    This Public Service Announcement contains updated information about an ongoing fraud scheme where criminal scammers are impersonating FBI personnel facilitating Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) complaints to deceive and revictimize individuals. This scheme combines several exploitation tactics to include the targeting of previous victims, the use of artificial intelligence (AI)-generated videos to create fictitious or misleading promotional ...

  • Hackers breached DHS after alarms were twice ruled ‘false positives’

    July 17, 2026

    Hackers managed to find their way into the US Department of Homeland Security’s primary information sharing platform, gaining unfettered access to the HSIN network that hosts unclassified information that multiple US agencies and international rely on. The hack allowed the attackers to modify server files, run malicious code and steal credential files while installing backdoors and ...

  • Hackers who gained access to heart of London transport network jailed

    July 16, 2026

    The data of millions of commuters was stolen, Londoners were left out of pocket and 27,000 Transport for London staff were forced to reset their passwords. Over four days in 2024 a pair of teenage hackers had London’s transport network at their mercy. The hackers had burrowed into the heart of Transport for London’s IT systems and held ...