African authorities dismantle massive cybercrime and fraud networks, recover millions


LYON, France – In a sweeping INTERPOL-coordinated operation, authorities across Africa have arrested 1,209 cybercriminals targeting nearly 88,000 victims. The crackdown recovered USD 97.4 million and dismantled 11,432 malicious infrastructures, underscoring the global reach of cybercrime and the urgent need for cross-border cooperation.

Operation Serengeti 2.0 (June to August 2025) brought together investigators from 18 African countries and the United Kingdom to tackle high-harm and high-impact cybercrimes including ransomware, online scams and business email compromise (BEC). These were all identified as prominent threats in the recent INTERPOL Africa Cyberthreat Assessment Report.

Read more…
Source: Interpol


Sign up for the Cyber Security Review Newsletter
The latest cyber security news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Wray tells lawmakers that FBI conducts cyber offensive operations

    November 17, 2022

    FBI Director Christopher Wray told Senate lawmakers on Thursday that his agency has been conducting offensive cyber operations against state and non-state cyber actors. Wray said offensive operations are one of many tactics the agency employs to counter various cyber threats. “Offense is a critical part of our overall effort to push back against cyber adversaries,” Wray ...

  • Suspected Zeus cybercrime ring leader ‘Tank’ arrested by Swiss police

    November 16, 2022

    Vyacheslav Igorevich Penchukov, also known as Tank and one of the leaders of the notorious JabberZeus cybercrime gang, was arrested in Geneva last month. The Swiss Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) said Penchukov was arrested last month and is waiting to be extradited to the United States, although he can still appeal FOJ’s decision. “By order of ...

  • CISA and FBI Release Advisory on Iranian Government-Sponsored APT Actors Compromising Federal Network

    November 16, 2022

    Today, CISA and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) published a joint Cybersecurity Advisory (CSA), Iranian Government-Sponsored APT Actors Compromise Federal Network, Deploy Crypto Miner, Credential Harvester. The CSA provides information on an incident at a Federal Civilian Executive Branch (FCEB) organization in which Iranian government-sponsored APT actors exploited a Log4Shell vulnerability in unpatched VMware ...

  • Pro-Russian hackers claim cyber attack on FBI website

    November 15, 2022

    A group of pro-Russian hackers claimed to hack into the FBI website this week, the latest in a string of supposed attacks on U.S. government websites. The group Killnet took responsibility for infiltrating the website on its Telegram page Monday. It said the group was doing justice and guarding Russian cyberspace, writing “Glory to Russian and ...

  • Australia: Government considers making cyber ransom payments illegal after Medibank hack

    November 13, 2022

    It could soon be illegal for companies that fall victim to data breaches to pay ransoms to the hackers. The home affairs minister, Clare O’Neil, confirmed the government was examining whether new laws were needed to stop ransom payments in the wake of the Medibank and Optus data breaches. O’Neil said while short-term successes were needed in ...

  • Ransomware is a global problem and getting worse, says US

    November 1, 2022

    The White House has brought together dozens of nations as well as representatives from big tech companies for a two-day summit aimed at figuring out how to tackle the global ransomware problem. “When you look at government networks, as we know — Costa Rica; Montenegro; Bank of Zambia; the city of Palermo, Italy, — this is ...