African authorities dismantle massive cybercrime and fraud networks, recover millions


LYON, France – In a sweeping INTERPOL-coordinated operation, authorities across Africa have arrested 1,209 cybercriminals targeting nearly 88,000 victims. The crackdown recovered USD 97.4 million and dismantled 11,432 malicious infrastructures, underscoring the global reach of cybercrime and the urgent need for cross-border cooperation.

Operation Serengeti 2.0 (June to August 2025) brought together investigators from 18 African countries and the United Kingdom to tackle high-harm and high-impact cybercrimes including ransomware, online scams and business email compromise (BEC). These were all identified as prominent threats in the recent INTERPOL Africa Cyberthreat Assessment Report.

Read more…
Source: Interpol


Sign up for the Cyber Security Review Newsletter
The latest cyber security news and insights delivered right to your inbox


Related:

  • Hundreds arrested and millions seized in global INTERPOL operation against social engineering scams

    June 15, 2022

    LYON, France — A worldwide crackdown on social engineering fraud has seen scammers identified globally, substantial criminal assets seized and new investigative leads triggered in every continent. The two-month (8 March – 8 May 2022) Operation, codenamed First Light 2022, saw 76 countries take part in an international clampdown on the organized crime groups behind telecommunications ...

  • Five Eyes alliance’s top cop says techies are the future of law enforcement

    June 9, 2022

    Australian Federal Police (AFP) commissioner Reece Kershaw has accused un-named nations of helping organized criminals to use technology to commit and launder the proceeds of crime, and called for international collaboration to developer technologies that counter the threats that behaviour creates. Kershaw’s remarks were made at a meeting of the Five Eyes Law Enforcement Group (FELEG), ...

  • Takedown of SMS-based FluBot spyware infecting Android phones

    June 1, 2022

    An international law enforcement operation involving 11 countries has resulted in the takedown of one of the fastest-spreading mobile malware to date. Known as FluBot, this Android malware has been spreading aggressively through SMS, stealing passwords, online banking details and other sensitive information from infected smartphones across the world. Its infrastructure was successfully disrupted earlier ...

  • Online scamming fraud: three Nigerians arrested in INTERPOL Operation Killer Bee

    May 30, 2022

    The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) arrested the suspects in a sting operation conducted simultaneously in the Lagos suburb of Ajegunle and in Benin City, 300 km to the East of the commercial capital. The Nigerian sting operation comes as part of a global operation codenamed “Killer Bee” involving INTERPOL’s General Secretariat headquarters and National ...

  • Biden signs cybercrime tracking bill into law

    May 9, 2022

    US President Joe Biden has signed into law a bill that aims to improve how the federal government tracks and prosecutes cybercrime. The Better Cybercrime Metrics Act, which Biden signed late last week, requires the Department of Justice to work with the National Academy of Sciences to develop a taxonomy that law enforcement can use to ...

  • US offers $15m reward for information about Conti ransomware gang

    May 9, 2022

    The US government is offering up to $15 million for information about key leaders of the notorious Conti ransomware group and any individual participating in an attack using a variant of Conti’s malware. In its notice issued May 6, the US Department of State said the Conti ransomware variant was the costliest strain of ransomware on ...